Friday, April 18, 2008

Orange Bubbles

The Kid has been home all week for spring break and there have been activities galore -- Play Doh, painting, swimming in the hot tub, riding his new scooter, playing all sorts of pretend games. I needed another activity and my friend inspired me to lug out the bread machine and make some bread with the little guy.

Funny thing is, he was so tired from our morning activities that he actually fell asleep during quiet time and wouldn't wake up. The first rising was done, I put the dough in the fridge so it wouldn't over-rise, but I had to bake it off before the witching hour -- so I ended up doing the actual fun part of rolling tiny pieces of dough and dipping into the orange syrup. It was quite fun. For me. The end result was amazing -- crunchy goodness on the outside, soft and light on the inside.

Recipe:
Orange Bubble Loaf from Bread Machine Magic

Changes necessary:
  • The pan I used was too small and the bubbles started popping out from the top. Next time, I'll use a Bundt pan.
  • I forgot to incorporate the lemon rind in the dough. It tasted fine, but it would probably taste better with it.
  • Maybe I'll make 1.5 times the amount of syrup next time.

Result: Not too sweet, crunchy on the outside, soft and light on the inside. Success!

Here's the bread after the second rising -- the bubbles are about to pop out.




Here is the golden goodness right out of the oven.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I want some of that with a nice cup of coffee!