Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Small Accomplishment

Call this a simple accomplishment, but an accomplishment nonetheless.

After years of experimentation, I've finally perfected my gyoza pan frying skills (or often shrimp and pork wontons in our household).

Look at this crunchy on the bottom and soft and chewy on the top goodness!


The secret is to boil/steam them for a few minutes in a frying pan (a good non-stick pan is an absolute necessity), drain the remaining water and then add the oil. I make sure to unstick the gyozas from the pan when I add the oil and keep moving the pan until there's a nice crunchy crust.

Shrimp and pork wontons are my go-to food or slacker dinner. I can pan fry them, deep fry them, boil them or put them in soups, so they are versatile and the kids love them.

I like to make a couple hundred of them and freeze them when I have time -- not an easy thing to find these days, but possible every once in a while.


No comments: