Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Week 1 Recipe: CrockPot Korean BBQ Ribs

Now that my slow cooker and I have rekindled our relationship, I've been scouring the internet for new recipes.

Week 1 for my weekly new recipe challenge was a CrockPot Korean BBQ ribs recipe from here.

Wish I had a photo for you, but there were too many things going on (screaming baby and a five year old asking 20 million Star Wars related questions) and I missed the photo op.

Verdict: the marinade is good, but the texture wasn't quite what we wanted.

Don't get me wrong, the marinade is excellent -- it tastes pretty authentic. It's just that we are so used to really biting into a piece of Korean BBQ and chewing it. The problem (if you can call it that) is that the slow cooker really makes the meat so tender (which is normally a great thing) that it melts in your mouth -- just not the texture we want in Korean BBQ.

But if you have a very young child who likes meat or want to make a nice tender meat entree for the elderly, this is a great recipe.

Next time, I think I will use the marinade, but grill it on the BBQ grill. It is, afterall, BBQ Korean ribs.

Added on June 15, 2009:
I tried marinating the beef in this marinade (1/2 sake instead of water, plus 1 tablespoon of sesame oil) and had Hubby BBQ it on the outdoor grill.
Excellent! I thought we would have plenty of leftovers for the next day, but... uh, no.

No comments: