Wednesday, February 16, 2011

College Food

I bawled when I saw Toy Story 3, you know, the part where Andy is packing to go off to college....

I know my kids are only 3.5 and 7 years old. They are still babies, really.

But I can't help it.

I know I'll be such a wreck when they go off.

And when I am being loopy thinking about years and years into the future, I always stop and think, "What will they eat when they start living on their own?"

I'm like a good Jewish/Chinese grandma.

Except, I'm not.

I'm Japanese.

But I can't help it -- I often wonder about the go-to foods my boys will make for themselves when they first start living on their own. I know they aren't going to be making peanut butter sandwiches or reaching for that box of mac 'n cheese -- they haven't grown up eating much of that.

I do; however, have a feeling it will involve some type of rice. Being a Japanese mama who cannot go without some type of rice dish at least once a day, I will surely send them off to college with a rice cooker.

And as the quality of rice is so important to us Japanese, surely a better than decent rice cooker with a timer so that the perfect rice can be ready right at the perfect moment they want to sit down for a meal. Perfection.

But I digress....

When I have very little time or on those very lazy days when I just don't feel like spending an hour (plus) in the kitchen making dinner, this is my go to meal: fried egg and avocado over rice with a little drizzle of soy sauce.

You already know how passionate I am about good rice. It has to be fresh or frozen and microwaved (which is surprisingly delicious). None of that sitting-in-the-fridge-for-too-long dried out rice, please. You can transform that into delicious fried rice!

Fried egg -- a sunnyside up fried to perfection... And you don't need a whole lotta oil for this if you fry the egg for a little bit first, then sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan and steam it with a lid on.

Avocado -- if you've got kids, it's pretty likely that you have an avocado or two lying around the kitchen? We often do.

Chop up the fried egg and avocado and put it over the rice with a little drizzle of soy sauce.

On days when I'm feeling a little less lazy, I roast some sesame seeds on the stove and sprinkle it on top to make it look (and taste) a little fancier.

Not that my boys care about looks. They gobble this dish so fast and always ask for seconds.

I suspect this will be their go-to meal they'll be "cooking" for themselves in their first apartment... in between responding to their mother's annoying text messages -- "Are you eating regularly?" "What are you eating?" "Do you need me to bring (send) you some home-cooked dishes??"

Sorry, boys.... in advance.


No comments: